Last Tuesday was Fastnaught Day. Since moving to Pottstown, I have embraced the local tradition of eating the traditional square doughnuts. I can’t turn down good food.
This year, I decided to try my hand at making them. I had some leftover mashed potatoes in the fridge and I always keep yeast on hand. After running a quick search online, I followed this recipe though I made the following changes:
- used leftover mashed potatoes with butter, milk and yogurt mixed in
- increased mashed potatoes to 2 cups, since that is what I had on hand
- added 1 cup of warm water
- substituted butter for the lard
- substituted bread flour for flour
I may never go back to store-bought Fastnaught Day doughnuts. They were delicious.
My only problem was inconsistency in the deep frying process; some of the doughnuts didn’t get cooked through. Next time I’ll use an egg timer to make sure I’m cooking them long enough.