I ended up using the very green fabric I was certain last week looked awful with the striped and flower fabric from India.
I’m so glad I did. I just love how it turned out. It took a formal fabric and made it fun enough that a little girl can go romping about in it.
Pattern: same as the shorts – Simplicity 4203
Fabrics: 3 different fabrics were used. All 100% cotton.
Alterations: A lot. You’ll understand why in about a month when I finish the Mommy size version of the dress. For the record, I decided to forgo the following design features:
Then, I added a midriff section in a 2nd color. The skirt was redrawn to have an A-line silhouette. Lastly, the entire dress was lined with white fabric mainly because the India fabric is see-through.
It was my 1st attempt at altering a pattern. Almost every pattern piece had to be changed in some way. Boy, was I relieved to have the dress fit Elly.
With the dress reaching the floor, there is lots of room for growth length-wise. The A-line style even allows Elly to pack on more pounds on her belly and thighs without the dress becoming snug, a feature I have a feeling she’ll take advantage of.