Spurred on by my success of replacing the old seat cushion, I announced to Dan that I was going to replace all the cushions on the wingback chair. Dan thought the only way I could accomplish such a task was to reupholster the chair. I knew I didn’t want to do that. So, I set out to prove him wrong.
A quick search on the internet found instructions on eHow.
Perhaps reupholstering the chair would have been easier, but if I staple the new fabric on I can kiss goodbye the ability of ever washing it. Light colored fabric coupled with a small child makes washing a necessity.
The hard part will come when I try to shove the new cushion back into the attached fabric of the chair, but I’m a determined gal.
An eagle eye will notice that the muslim cover to the seat cushion has an error. Read more about it here.
Wouldn’t you like to be knitting here?
(Loved the series by Knitting Dragonflies)
Yet, I’m thrilled to have found a moment in each day where I can knit a few rows. Why I just might finish the hexagon blanket before Elly’s 5th birthday. Don’t hold your breath though.
The doors are painted.
The drawers are painted.
The hardware is the same. I just cleaned them up.
Next up are the cabinets doors.
In addition to repainting all the kitchen cabinets a lovely shade of turquoie, I have started to sew a slip cover for this chair.
It came with the house. I didn’t pick that fabric out.
When removing the current cover on the seat cushion, I noticed the horrible yellow staining and massive deterioration. Thus, the first step was to make a new seat cushion.
Of course, Elly helped.
First, I cut out a new cushion from the giant roll of foam I ordered from Joann. (I used a coupon to cut the price way down). Next, we decorated the foam with markers.
Afterwards, I wrapped the foam in two layers of low loft batting and then whip stitched it closed.
The difference is amazing. This might be the most comfortable chair in our house now.
Saturday’s snow storm only managed to delay the start of the Pottstown Knit Out by 2 hours.
I arrived minutes before my class started, giving the organizers a bit of a scare. But, I couldn’t resist taking Elly out in the snow. Once outside, I noticed my 91-year-old neighbor’s walkway had not been shoveled. Refusing to let her do it herself, I took my helpers over to clear her sidewalk and driveway.
I will no longer roll my eyes when Dan informs me he really wants to buy a snow blower. Shoveling snow is hard work! I fully support his decision now.
Back to my story of the Knit Out …. My class went great. All attendees agreed that charts finally made sense. It gave me such a great feeling.
Knowing I barely have time to knit these days, I did not buy any of the gorgeous yarns seen. Instead I bought me a new knitting bag.
Isn’t it wonderful? It’s handmade by Ruth Raisner. Get your Phillies bag here.
Palmolive, hot water, a scouring pad and a little bit of elbow grease were all I needed to remove years of grease and grime.
If you want to preserve the current paint or finish, then I wouldn’t recommend using the same technique. The scouring pad removed a layer of paint with the unwanted grime, but that just saves me time and effort. I can now skip the sanding step and jump straight to the priming step.
The only challenge lies in how to keep Elly occupied with her washable paints while I paint over all the avocado green. Wish me luck.
At the rate I’m going, it will take me 3 more years to finish the other 5 hexagons. It might even take me longer, since I’ve started suffering motion sickness while driving in the passenger seat and trying to work on needle crafts. The more curves in the road and the more fiddly the project, the more seasick I become. I never had this problem before. The lion’s share of my knitting has been accomplished on road trips. I feel so unproductive now.
To add insult to injury, it took me two tries to seam up the first hexagon yesterday only because I didn’t follow my own tip. I always recommend to other knitters that they use safety pins to hold the knit together while working a mattress stitch. I was in a hurry and just tried to wing it. It didn’t work. I had to rip the seam out and start all over again. The second time I used safety pins.
While sitting in front of the roaring fire Dan made Sunday, I transcribed all my notes and tips about reading charts onto an easel. I’ll be teaching a class on reading charts at the Pottstown Knit Out this weekend.
If you’re a knitter in the Pottstown area, I highly recommend attending next year. Unfortunately, the event is sold out this year. You can learn more about the event on its website.
When I had first painted Elly’s room, I had only stenciled her growth chart up to 3 feet. I was so sure that it would be at least 3 years before I would have to extend it.
Elly isn’t even 2 yet and yesterday I had to pull out the stencils and paint.
Dan promised me that this would be the last time.
The short and sweet story behind the rag quilt is embroidered on the label.
Hand-embroidered by Quilted Lovelies because I neither had the time nor the patience.
The long and detailed story can be found on my Elly Made blog.